My favourite muffin recipe: Apricot Oatmeal Bran Muffins
Oatmeal Apricot Bran Muffins
This recipe comes from my Great Aunt Joan. I often encourage clients to bake healthy muffins and cookies to have on hand for snacks. This recipe is high in fibre and contains no white flour.
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a small bowl, stir together wheat bran and boiling water; set aside.
- In a med bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg, buttermilk and oil until blended. Pour over flour mixture, along with bran mixture, and stir until just combined. Fold in apricots.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake in the oven preheated to 375 oven for 16-18 mins or until done.