One-pan Easy Chickpea Masala the whole family will love
Thanks to Spark Nutrition Communications for this recipe! #sparkeatwell
Easy Chickpea Masala
The easy curry sauce in this recipe is perfect with budget- and pantry-friendly canned chickpeas and super-convenient frozen veggies. And it’s so tasty, you’ll want to put it on everything! Bonus? With just one pan to clean up, it’s a time-saving winner.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root minced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp garam masala spice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can whole tomatoes undrained, 796mL
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cans chickpeas drained & rinsed, 19oz each
- 1 500g pkg cauliflower frozen
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter smooth or crunchy
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- . In a large, deep non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.Add garlic, onion and ginger; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add tomato paste, garam masala and cumin; cook, stirring, until slightly darkened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and water, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon.Add chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower, peanut butter and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, if using.
If you like your curry spicy, then add about a 1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper along with the other spices.
Make a double batch in a big pot, then freeze it in portion- friendly containers up to four weeks for “reheat and eat” lunches or dinners.