22 Aug Vegetarian Lasagna
Ditch the usual meaty lasagna, be adventerous and give this tasty vegetarian lasagna a try. Even your meat-lover friends will like it!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbs. minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup tomato paste/tomato sauce
- 2 pkgs. firm tofu (12 oz/350g. each)
- 1 pkg. lasagna noodles (16 oz.)
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach (10 oz/280g.), thawed and drained
- 1 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz./227g)
- 4 cans stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz. each)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Prepare the sauce: Heat theolive oil. Sauté the onions until they are soft. Add the garlic.
- Place the parsley, basil, tomatoes and tomato paste in the saucepan. Stir well and wait for the sauce to simmer. Add salt and pepper.
- While cooking the sauce, boil the lasagna noodles. Drain and rinse well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the tofu in a large bowl. Add drained spinach. Mash into a crumble-like texture.
- Assemble the lasagna: Spread the tomato sauce in a casserole pan. Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles and sprinkle pieces of tofu mixture on the noodles. Repeat the same process for the tomato sauce, noodles and tofu until you make three layers. Sprinkle with grated cheese to make it perfectly moist and flavorful.
- Cover the casserole with foil. Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
*If you would like to make this vegan, leave out the cheese on top, and sub the cream cheese for a vegan cream cheese spread.
Author Bio: Callum is the head of content at Mexican Shred Blend. They are an Australian based dairy product manufacturer that specialise in the B2B market. When he is not creating content online, he’s in the kitchen experimenting with different flavours and food combinations.