06 Mar Freezer Meals with Friends
I love freezer meals! What a huge time (and money) save, to double a recipe and throw half in the freezer for another night. One of those nights when you don’t have the time or energy to cook from scratch, but don’t want to order in again.
Recently I had 3 friends over to do a group cook for freezer meals. It was a great chance to chat, drink a glass of wine and fill our freezers!
Each person picked their favourite freezer meal and brought ingredients for quadruple the recipe. They also brought along a few extra cooking tools and 4 freezer pans to take home 4 different freezer meals.
Freezer Meal Tips:
- Chill the food before freezing. Otherwise it will raise the freezers temperature, affecting foods around it. Ice crystals will also form on top of your food, decreasing quality. One good way to cool the food is to place in a shallow dish and put in the fridge until cold.
- Freeze in an airtight container. Avoid air exposure = freezer burn.
- Freezer bags work for soup and stew and can be placed flat (don’t put hot food in it, or it will leach into your food).
- Glass containers can go from freezing to thawing to baking. As can stoneware, BUT stoneware must be thawed before placing in the freezer or can crack.
- You can also freeze in individual portions for single lunches. I wrap burritos in plastic and then tinfoil.
- Mason jars are good to freeze liquids like broth, soups and sauces. Don’t over fill.
- Label your meals with date and what it is and amount.
- Thaw in the fridge the night before. Or in cold water (fish), can change water every 30 mins and will go quicker. Or in microwave in a microwave safe dish.
This turkey chili is one of my favourite freezer meals: Turkey Chili.
Want more meal planning ideas? Grab my 16 easy dinner recipes below